Falconry is one of many exciting activities that you can participate in while on your vacation to Britain or Ireland. Our clients often rave that it is a memorable experience that we have included in their vacation itinerary. Below, learn some fun facts about falcons before your next trip!
- Falcons can grow to about 2 feet tall, and have a wingspan of up to four feet.
- Females are about 20% larger than males.
- Peregrine Falcons are the fastest animals in the world, reaching speeds of over 186 mph when diving for their prey.
- This majestic creature uses their incredible speed to catch a wide variety of other birds, especially pigeons and doves. Some scientists believe that they can catch up to 2,000 different species of birds. They also will catch small mammals, lizards and insects.
- Falcons build their nests in cliffs, ledges, tall buildings, and tree hollows.
- They lay between 1-6 eggs each year.
- Peregrine Falcons are one of the most widely distributed birds in the world and can be found in a wide range of habitats on every continent, except Antarctica. Their numbers dropped in many places due to the use of pesticides by farmers. Fortunately, since these poisons have been banned, their numbers have increased again.
Ready to travel to England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Ireland? Let us create a personalized vacation package filled with unique and wonderful experiences tailored just for you! Contact us today at 310-791-6101 or complete our online form and we will contact you shortly.
Thank you to Hayden’s Animal Facts for the falcon information.